Monday, September 18, 1995

Part 0: Introduction

(from a series of letters I wrote in 1995)

As all of you know, I have recently been spending considerable time studying about the role of government and its relationship to the governed. About a week ago I watched a tape of a talk given by President Benson on September 16, 1987 at a BYU devotional. The titled of the talk was "The Constitution, a Heavenly Banner.” The next day I went down to Deseret Book and purchased a pamphlet that contained this talk. I also found a book by Ezra Taft Benson entitled "An Enemy Hath Done This." I have just finished reading this book. I strongly recommend it to all.

In the general priesthood session of conference on April 9, 1966 President David O. McKay stated:

We therefore commend and encourage every person and every group who is sincerely seeking to study Constitutional principles and awaken a sleeping and apathetic people to the alarming conditions that are rapidly advancing about us. We wish all of our citizens throughout the land were participating in some type of organized self-education in order that they could better appreciate what is happening and know what they can do about it.

With this recommendation from President McKay I would like to share with you some of the things I have learned. This will be the first in a series of letters that will explain my opinions about government and attempt to back them up. I will likely quote from President Benson extensively. It's likely there are items that I am wrong about. If my beliefs are in any way out of harmony with the teachings of the church, I will change my beliefs. Obviously there will be cases where you disagree with me. When you do, let me know why so we can discuss it. I am continually trying to increase my understanding. Feel free to share these letters with your family and friends.

I have organized the material I would like to share into the following four sections: 1) Moral case for individual liberty, 2) Government, 3) Pragmatic case for liberty, and 4) Actions we can take to improve our government.

No comments: